This is my death row dish. A rich and meaty sauce to put over your favourite pasta. I promise it is worth the effort!
- 500g full fat beef mince
- 500g full fat pork mince
- 2 brown onions
- 3 medium sized carrots
- 4 celery sticks
- 2 x 375g tins of diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 5 anchovy fillets
- 1lt beef stock
- 1 stick of fresh rosemary
- Small bunch of fresh thyme
- 3 fresh or dry bay leaves
- 1 cup red wine
Ok, so I know you are saying those are a lot of ingredients, and it is, but seriously, they are all needed. Also, this feeds a LOT of people. I would say about 10 but you could stretch it to 12 with a bit more pasta.
- The first thing you need to do is dice up all the veggies. I make them quite small because I had to try and hide them from the kids but you don’t need to.
- Now pop them in a pan with some olive oil and cook them on a medium heat until they have cooked down and caramelised a little, about 10mins.
- Throw the meat in and mix until it has all been broken up and browned.
- Add the anchovys and tomato paste and give it a good stir through for a few minutes.
- Now add the stock, tomatoes and herbs.
- Pop the lid on and cook on the slowest setting of your stove for as long as you have. A few hours is good. Keep your eye on it and stir every 15 mins to make sure it’s not sticking to the bottom of the pan. Add some more stock or water if you need to.
- For the last 15 mins before you are ready to eat, take the lid off to reduce the liquid. You want it to be nice and thick.
Your Spag Bol sauce is ready. Pop it on some pasta and plenty of parmesan cheese. I like to add some chilli flakes as well. But I add chilli to everything!