This will become a family favourite in your house, just like it is in mine.
1kg chicken thighs
1 jar tomato passata
2 medium onions
2 inches of fresh ginger or 2 tbsp crushed ginger
1 whole bulb of garlic or 2 tbsp crushed garlic
4 long green chillies
Juice of 1 lemon
1 cup Greek yogurt
2 tbsp garam masala
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp red chilli powder
1 tbsp cardamom powder
1 tbsp fenugreek seeds (optional but delicious)
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces.
- To the chicken, add the lemon juice, yogurt and 1 tbsp of garam masala. Then mix it through and let it sit while you prepare the other ingredients.
- In a blender, add the garlic, ginger, green chillies, onions and blend until pureed.
- Put a pan on the heat with a glug of oil.
- When it’s hot, add the onion mix and cook, stirring for a few minutes. You want it to be cooked but not caramelised.
- In a separate smaller pan, add the remaining spices. Then place it on a low heat and cook while stirring until it smells delicious. A few minutes will do it.
- Add the spices to the the onion mix and cook the mixture for a further few minutes.
- Now add the chicken mix and stir through.
- Add a cup of water, the jar of passata and bring it to the boil. Then reduce the heat and put the lid on for 15 mins.
- Take the lid off, turn up the heat and reduce the liquid for about 10 mins until it is nice and thick.
- Now add the butter and stir until it is melted.
- Your butter chicken is ready. I love to eat it with rice with a tablespoon of ghee and salt stirred through once it is cooked.