This dish is not only tasty, quick and easy to prepare, but also suitable for vegatarians and Vegans!
Eggplant and Tomato Curry:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves
2 tsp crushed ginger
1 tin cherry tomatoes
2 tsp garam masala
2 tsp cumin powder
2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 stem of curry leaves
juice of a lime
salt to taste
- Slice eggplant length ways into 1 cm thick slices.
- Place ½ of each of the spices, 2 tsp of salt and 4 tbsp of oil in a bowl and mix together. Now rub each slice of eggplant, both sides, to ensure it is covered with spice and oil.
- Place the eggplant on a sandwich press and close the lid. Cook for 5 mins or until cooked through and charred. You can also do this in a pan, bbq, or grill plate. Just cook until nicely charred.
- Place the eggplant in a bowl and cover with cling film to sweat.
- Dice onion and garlic and crush the ginger.
- Place about 4 tbsp of oil in a pan. When it is warm, add the mustard seeds and curry leaves and fry them until the seeds start to pop.
- Now add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook until the onion is soft. About 2 mins.
- Add the remaining spices and cook for about 1 min.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and eggplant to the onion and spice mix.
- Cook for about 3 mins.
- Take the pan off the heat and add the juice of the lime and season with salt.
- Eat with flat bread or rice.