These traditional Rice Noodle Rolls have the bold, authentic Chinese flavours you’d expect and is perfect if you love a bit of heat.
Five Spice Chicken :
Crispy Garlic, Shallots and Chilli Oil:
- Preheat oven to 190C. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil.
- For the Five Spice Chicken, cut the Marylands into thigh and leg portions. Place into a bowl and add the spice, oil and salt, to taste. Mix until evenly combined.
- Arrange the chicken portions on a lined baking tray and bake in the oven until the chicken is tender and cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly.
- Remove the skin and meat from the bones and shred into bite size pieces. Set aside and cover to keep warm.
- For the Chilli Oil, place the oil and garlic into a small saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook until garlic is lightly brown, about 4 minutes. Remove the garlic from the oil and set aside on paper towel. Reserve the oil in the saucepan and heat to 180C.
- Place shallot into a small bowl and sprinkle with ¼ tsp salt. Work the salt into the shallot, separating into rings as you mix. Sprinkle the rice flour over shallots and work in with your fingertips until coated.
- Place coated shallot rings into the hot oil, one at a time, and cook until lightly browned.
- Remove from the oil and set aside with the garlic. Remove the hot oil from the heat and carefully add the spices. Set aside and allow to cool. Reserve 1 tablespoon for the Hoisin Sauce and place the remainder into a small serving ramekin.
- For the Hoisin Sauce, place soy sauce, tahini and honey into a small saucepan and place over medium heat. Whisk until combined.
- Finely grate the garlic into the saucepan and stir through. Simmer until the sauce has thickened. Add the Chinese five spice, Chilli Oil and vinegar and stir to combine. Transfer to a small serving ramekin and set aside.
- For the Rice Noodle sheets, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil then reduce to a simmer. Place the base of a large steamer basket on top. Lightly spray a 16cm round shallow tray or plate with the canola oil spray and place into the base of the steamer basket.
- Place the rice flour and tapioca flours into a bowl. Add 1½ cups room temperature water and whisk until smooth.
- Pour in enough batter to thinly cover the tray, swirling the steamer base to ensure a thin even layer. Cover with the lid and allow to cook for a further minute or until the batter is set and the noodle sheet is translucent.
- Remove the tray from the steamer. Brush the noodle sheet lightly with oil and carefully transfer the Rice Noodle sheets to a sheet of baking paper.
- Repeat with remaining batter to make a total of 8 noodle sheets, ensuring the batter is stirred before pouring each time.
- To serve, place a small amount of the Hoisin Sauce onto the noodle sheets. Top with the shredded Five Spice Chicken. Sprinkle with the herbs and spring onion. Roll into cylinders and transfer to a serving plate. Sprinkle with more herbs and the Crispy Garlic and Shallots. Serve with the Hoisin Sauce and Chilli Oil on the side.